Ritch's Search Box

Custom Search

Ritch's Search results

Friday, September 08, 2006

Aids awareness programmes: unnecessary semantics?

Today, I am an angry African. No, I am miffed and annoyed. "Why?" you may ask.
I have been trying to educate people on the right course of action to take as far as prevention of Aids is concerned. I have tried to do this through my writing (newspaper and magazine articles, my blogs), public speaking and one on one encounters.

I go to such lengths, not because I suffer from Aids (which I don't) or because I benefit in any way, but because of the love of humanity and human life. Life is one of the most priceless things that God has given us. We should never, I repeat, never, use our lives as guinea pigs and swim in the morass of ludicrous experimentations.

Our foremost cry should not be how we can cure Aids but rather how we can stop promiscuity and immorality (HIV's open highway). I know you'll not agree with me but truth be told, we can never expect to cut the tree's branches and wish the tree away after that – we should rather cut the trunk, uproot the stump and cut the branches while the tree is lying vertically on the ground!

What makes me choke is the laxity that most people exhibit when it comes to Aids issues. Aids awareness programmes have become too common that most of us guys have dropped our guard and forgotten the danger that we are exposing ourselves to. My view of the whole thing is that people have heard so much about Aids that their 'ears' have become numb. Is it the case of too-much-of-something-is-poisonous? This depends on ones perceptions and priorities. According to me, poison, in this case, is what you get when you do not heed the call: Aids.

Let us refuse to be dragged to such a level. Whether we like it or not, Aids is the stark truth of our dangerous times and if we do not take heed then our continent will not have tomorrow's leaders. So hurting but a very potential outcome.

Compromise and complacency should never be allowed in our neighbourhood – if not always then at least when we are dealing with this grave problem.

To sum up, can we expect to extricate ourselves from this menace if promiscuity and immorality are still a principal part of our moral fabric? If we do, then it's like expecting a snowball to survive in hell.

1 comment:

Rista said...

I totally agree with you, i think the whole condomize saga gives a sense of false security, though I suppose it's better than nothing. The problem is how we're socialized... guys have to be macho, girls have to 'give it up' to stand a chance. Very few want to know about abstinence, be faithful is only effective if you have 'his' and 'hers' chastity belts. I personally think we should all be given drugs that kill sexual urges... if you don't have them then you won't notice they're gone, will you?

Blog Widget by LinkWithin