Ritch's Search Box

Custom Search

Ritch's Search results

Monday, October 09, 2006

English or no English we are one people




I am still smarting from the heavy barrage of words that has been bandied between Tanzanians and Kenyans about who's better than the other.

Kenyans pride (read gloat!) themselves as having a better grip on the Queen's language than their Tanzanian counterparts.
(Mind you, the English are still learning English. So really, there is no reason to walk with your shoulders held up high just because you can make one or two flawless sentences in English). Or is there?

Now I know you want to know my nationality. I am a Kenyan through and through: blood, bones and mentality. Even then, I think and decide with my mind and not my heart.

You would ask, "What business do I have 'defending' Tanzanians?" Well, the reason is simple and clear: the brass tacks. I value unity and oneness (semantically speaking). In addition to that, the value of a man doesn't lie in the language he speaks (or doesn't speak well!) but in the sheer fact that he/she is a human being.

That, above all, is what we should look at before we get embroiled in matters that are out to create rifts in our midst.

We should glory, instead, in what we as East Africans uniquely possess and endeavor to better our relationships by sharing our unique possessions to make East Africa and, in essence, Africa and the world a more people-friendly environment.

Let's stop this braggadocio (talking too proudly about oneself) we have taken up of late:
Kenyans say, "We know more English than you (so we are better off). We are better educated than you guys and laziness is not a 'sport' we excel at."
Tanzanians say, "Our Kiswahili is the real thing. You Kenyans continue clamoring and paying allegiance to the colonial language you are very proud of and let's see how far you go."

Surely, such kind of exchanges with our neighbours does not portend the healthiest of situations. Your neighbour is one you should be quick to cover the weaknesses of. Why? It is him you'll run to, incline your head on his shoulder, look into his eyes and ask for help.

8 comments:

egm said...

Agreed wholeheartedly on treating each other with dignity and respect. Let us feed of each others' strengths, as we help each other in our weak areas. This false sense of pride while denigrating others is man's downfall.

Acolyte said...

Since I have been branded the scourge of Tanzanians I may as well speak.
First of all I have nothing against Swahili. I may not speak swahili sanifu as compared to Tanzanians but I speak it nonetheless and since Tanzanians can understand me that means I am not that badly off.
But as you said much ado is being made about this issue.One blogger milked 4 posts and a newspaper article out of this. What will happen when we start talking about trade?

Anonymous said...

I totally agree with you. We are one. Thinking one is better because of a language or GDP is simply wrong. We are human beings, and as you said, we are neighbors. Dismantling such negative attitudes is extremely important.

Nakubaliana nawe asilimia mia moja!

Juju said...

I am really looking forward to an East African economic community. Pamoja!

rweba said...

Hee, I am a Tanzanian and I agree with you "asilimia mia kwa mia" ;-)

That said, I do think Tanzanians are catching up on the English front and Kenyans are somewhat improving their Swahili so soon there won't be much difference.

Anonymous said...

I think we need a "free speech 101." I dont see anything wrong with "milking 4 posts and a newspaper article" on any issue. I thought that was part of free speech, which bloggers have been writing so much about lately.

ritch said...

Ndesanjo, you tend to forget something here. What we call "free speech" in blog-speak is not to be taken lightly. What we write have implications on the multiple audience stakeholders: good or bad. Even in "telling-as-it-is" we have to decide which one to glorify.

coldtusker said...

Do Tanzanian universities teach the Sciences in English or Kiswahili?

Blog Widget by LinkWithin