Ritch's Search Box

Custom Search

Ritch's Search results

Saturday, December 08, 2007

Spare a Thought for the Hurting and Down Trodden

I came across the poem below as I was sifting through my paraphernalia this morning. It got me thinking.

The poem was writtenby the prominent German anti-Nazi activist, Pastor Martin Niem?ller.

First they came...

In Germany they came first for the Communists,
And I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Communist.
Then they came for the Jews,
And I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Jew.
Then they came for the trade unionists,
And I didn't speak up because I wasn't a trade unionist.
Then they came for the Catholics,
And I didn't speak up because I was a Protestant.
Then they came for me,
And by that time no one was left to speak up for me.


Most of our dear brothers and sisters are suffering and have suffered immensely in Kuresoi, Mount Elgon, in the hands of the ruthless mungiki and in election related violence in the recent past.

Speaking up for them is our divine responsibility. Taking the government to task and fervently asking why these heinous acts are being perpetrated under the very 'bulbous' nose of the state is the first step to much-needed healing.

Something has to give; something's gotta be done!

Well, if we don't speak up for the hurting and down-trodden in our country, who will speak up for us when it happens to us and our very own.
Food for thought, this.

Tell Ritch what you think.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin