Ritch's Search Box

Custom Search

Ritch's Search results

Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Kenyans and Tanzanians: the Disparities (part 1)




There are some behaviours, reactions and ways of life that are uniquely Tanzanian and Kenyan respectively. In this post (and subsequent ones), I endeavour to look at how these two East African peoples are different.

COURTESY:
Ask any Tanzanian and you'll be told one thing about Kenyans: "Kenyans are very rude, arrogant and not courteous."
"Why?" you may ask. It is said that Kenyans use rude, commanding language when they are asking for something (and they mean to be polite!).
Picture this:
A.
In a restaurant in Nairobi, a Kenyan is asking to be served a cup of tea.
Kenyan: Hello, we leta chai ninachelewa. Harakisha basi!
In a restaurant in Dar es Salaam, a Tanzanian is asking to be served a cup of tea.
Tanzanian: Habari za saa hizi. Naomba kikombe cha chai ya rangi.
B.
In a mathree (matatu) in Nairobi, a conductor is asking for fare from the passengers.
Conductor: Leta pesa yako na ufanye fasta (bring the fare and be fast at that). Fare ni mbao (twenty shillings) sitaki mtu ambaye anajifanya hajui fare ni chapa ngapi!
In a Daladala in Dar es Salaam, a conductor is asking for fare from the passengers.
Conductor: Naomba nauli yako. Nauli ni mia mbili hamsini (approximately Ksh 14).

In Tanzania, it is an unstated 'law' that you have to greet each and every person you come across as you go about your business. Greetings for people who are older than you start with "Shikamoo". For example, " Shikamoo Mzee Juma."
In Kenya, things are virtually different. It is "not a must" for one to greet everyone they meet on the way. You greet only those who are your acquaintances and are familiar to you. There are no specific greetings for people who are older than you. There are two widely used greetings in Kenya (and to people of all ages and sizes). These are:
i). (If one says "Sasa" you say "Fit"). This is akin to the "Mambo" "Poa" that Tanzanians use.
ii). Habari gani? (This is akin to the Habari za saa hizi? or Za saa hizi? that Tanzanians use.

For those Kenyans who are planning to visit Tanzania, please learn the art of greeting people often and to those older than you say "Shikamoo."
For those Tanzanians who are planning to visit Kenya, please don't get angry when someone walks past you without exchanging 'pleasantries'. That is our way of life here.

I had a rough time once (when I was visiting Tanzania) due to not greeting some old men who were seated somewhere as I passed. Incidentally, I didn't know the exact location of where I was going (somewhere at Kunduchi) so I had to go back the way I had come and at least ask someone to direct me. I remembered that I had seen some old men somewhere along the way. When I got to where they were seated I greeted them (with a humble Shikamoo!) and asked them for the direction of where I was going. They exchanged glances, scowled their faces and continued talking. I stood there awkwardly waiting for God-knows-what. One of them cleared his throat and told me:" You passed here without even greeting us and now because you have a 'problem' you have come to us. What do you expect us to do? Do you want us to associate with a rude fellow like you? I don't think you are a Tanzanian. Next time greet people whether you need their help or not. African culture dictates this!" And with that he directed me to where I was going (he literally took my hand and led me to where I was going). Before leaving, I 'served' them with my profuse apologies.

Do you have more you can share with us on Courtesy?Send Your Email Here(undaunted_2006 at yahoo dot com) and I'll post your observations.

FOOD:
In Kenya, when you are cooking sukumawiki (kales) and meat, you mix everything in one sufuria.
Things are done differently in Tanzania. Sukumawiki and meat stews are cooked in different pots. During mealtime in Tanzania, there are more bowls on the dining table than on an average Kenyan's table. These bowls may contain i) Maharage (beans)* (Kenyans call it Maharagwe).
ii) Mchicha *(Kikuyus call it Terere).
iii) Dagaa *(Kenyans call it Omena).
and
iv) Meat stew

My take is that Tanzanians are more nutrition conscious than Kenyans. Another thing, They use coconut "milk" in most of their food preparation and the food that is cooked with this "additive" is wonderful to the taste, take my word for it!

I know of a Kenyan couple who crossed the border into Tanzania with the sheer intention of looking for a maid from Tanzania. When I asked them of their reasons for going to such lengths and incurring all that cost, they looked me straight in the face and said: "We went to Bagamoyo (in Tanzania) for our honeymoon. We loved the food we were served. It was a whole new experience. We need this Tanzanian touch in our very home in Nairobi thus the need for a Tanzanian house maid."

This is the first part in a series of posts looking at the differences between Tanzanians and Kenyans.
Do you have more you can share with us on Food (or any other difference you have noticed)? Send me an Email and I'll post your observations here.

12 comments:

bomseh said...

nice post. i'll add more from my experience living with them for more than one year now. but on the food matter, not all kenyans mix nyama with sukumawiki. i for one cook meat separately from the vegs even back when i was at home. point to note here is that maybe some try to save on cooking oil and since the destination (stomach) is one.

bomseh said...

nice post. i'll add more from my experience living with them for more than one year now. but on the food matter, not all kenyans mix nyama with sukumawiki. i for one cook meat separately from the vegs even back when i was at home. point to note here is that maybe some try to save on cooking oil and since the destination (stomach) is one.

ritch said...

Hi Bomseh, thanx for your comment. I reckon there are so many differences btwn Kenyans and Tanzanians than we can even dare imagine. Keep them coming.

@"...maybe some try to save on cooking oil and since the destination (stomach) is one."

Methinks, it is more in their blood than in the availability (or absence)of "Kimbo".

Cheers!

Acolyte said...

Nice post! I am going to make the same point as Bomseh, not all Kenyans cook meat and vegetables in the same pot.I and my family have never done so.
But the rest is on point, we are really different.But don't Kenyans use the "mambo" ans:"poa" greeting? I know I did when I was in kenya.

rweba said...

I am a Tanzanian.

I do not know anything about Kenya, but your observations on Tanzania seem to be pretty accurate! :)

I am looking forward to the next posts in your series.

ritch said...

@rweba and Acolyte, welcome guys. I am happy that the two of you pretty much agree that Kenyans and Tanzanians are two different people (your nationalities notwithstanding :rweba, Tanzanian; Acolyte, Kenyan)!
@rweba, my observations on Tanzania are accurate because I'm a rather observant guy and would like all my posts to be spot on and on the right course (to have guys like you come back for more of my stuff!
Pull other guys into this discussion forum.
Cheers!

Anonymous said...

These are very interesting observations. I would like, at some point, to contribute. I hope there will be many parts to this topic.

kyekue said...

Sasa?! niaje? I am a Tanzanian with Kenyan exposure. Your observations about our differences are soo true! We are totally different! I have a very pleasant Kyuk friend, it took me months to believe she was Kenyan, the reason being she is nicer than a Tanzanian and her swa is flawless...grew up in Ngong'imagine. Then there's this other great friend, she's a Jang'oo a whole different character but we click ok. The only jang'oo guy i've met was unbearable,do all guys from that tribe feel like they are a blessing to mankind?know it alls? What tribe are you by the way?Almost every Kenyan I've met has asked me that question. Nyerere alitukataza sisi eti?

mama shady said...

just wanted to second the whole mixing food thing!ai!doubt that many kenayns do that!noone i know does!
anyway, i wonder if theres anything similar about east africans?

bomseh said...

@ mama shady, the only similarity i can think of east africans right now is their way of dressing (copying the westerners) and lack of musical identity, apart from maybe mombasa guys with their taarab.
look at it this way, south africans have kwaito, congolese have lingala, cameroon have soukous, ivory coast or some other west african countries have the bird flu dance.... we only do slide and mosquito. by the way what followed after the mosquito jig?

Simon Kitururu said...

I am a Tanzanian and I will say Tanzanians differ a lot. It depends where U are in Tanzania. The eating habits differs in different parts of Tanzania.Also not all parts of Tanzania I find people polite. But in general I agree with Ur observation

Anonymous said...

I am a white American and have mingled extensively with Kenyans and Tanzanians. I find your observations quite acurate (from and outsiders point of view). I highly appreciate this blog. It has helped me understand why I find it difficult to switch between my interactions with the two peoples. Thank and please like many have said keep sharing.
Also the one who said that Kenyans ask what tribe you are from has made a key observation in the differences. TZ is a more national mindset whereas Kenya has much more tribal mentality and it hurts them actually.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin