Ritch's Search Box

Custom Search

Ritch's Search results

Monday, December 08, 2008

People who expect you to exclaim “Oh!” in Awe

There are some people I talk to and after the talk I feel rejuvenated and uplifted. My self image is replenished and I feel I can move an extra mile. I honestly long for such sessions. Personally I know the people I should go to for “upliftment” and encouragement.

There are some other people who are out to deflate even the small bubble of self-image, confidence and self-esteem that one has. They are pure joy killers. I dread talking with such people for a long time for I know the end result is not always good.

I have had my fair share of experience at the “hands” of such people. I have been thoroughly smothered and squashed in their hands. If you don’t know that words are a potent tool and that you can be thoroughly squashed, then, you should have a session with such people. Or better still, you should have such people for friends.

These are people who come and tell you of their achievements and what they are planning to do to achieve their other goals. They tell you how much money they have saved up. Staggering figures, so to speak!

They tell you that they are planning to sell all their “old furniture” and stock their houses with new furniture using money from “an account specifically set up for that purpose”.

They say: “Do you know when I started saving for a new set of furniture? Ehe, you won’t believe it. I started saving the year before last.”

They proffer a piece of paper to you and say: “Here, have a look at this. This is the list of furniture that I am going to stock my house with.”

By the time they deliver their next “salvo”, your ears are numb. You realize that you have not spoken anything. You realize, too, that they have talked things that you had not asked details about.

Then, as a parting shot, they say: “Just give me two years and you’ll see how much I’ll have achieved by the end of that time. Just wait and see!”

Such kind of a “talk” (talk really! That’s a lecture. ) can deflate someone’s feeling of self-worth. Most of the people who boast in such a way, feel that they are better than other people. Thus they feel that they should be “noticed” because of their “remarkable achievements”.

These are the kind of people who don’t want to hear about your “achievements”. They feel that their “achievements” should excite all and sundry. They expect people to exclaim “Oh!” in awe as they tell of their “accomplishments”.

Phewt. What a world!

My Two Cents: Such people should realize that they are not the only people who inhabit the earth. They should also realize that they need other people to “achieve” what it is they expect to get at the end of the day.

They should temper their “boasting” with concern. They should be concerned what they are putting their listeners through. Sometimes I ask myself whether such people think that other people do not have goals and aspirations. Do they think that if you do not talk about what you have “accomplished”, you are worthless and have nothing to show for the time you have been on earth?

If three quarters of the people on the earth were such kind of people then our “collective orb” would be a mad place to live in. undesirable, even.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin