Ritch's Search Box

Custom Search

Ritch's Search results

Saturday, August 16, 2008

My Evasive Nyama Choma


News that at least four abattoirs had been closed down in Nairobi sometime this week hit me hard. In fact it was a slap across my broad face. Nyama choma (roasted meat) and my mouth are sworn blood brothers. Yeah, and literally so.

So, news that some principal slaughter houses in Nairobi had been closed down really jolted me. I started asking myself how I would get by the week with the thought that come weekend there might not be enough meat to serve the city thus I would end up not tasting my delicacy.

My employer might have noticed my disenchantment with life itself for he called me the other day asking what was “eating” me. He also pointed out that my work output was lackluster (to use his word). He said this was unlike me.

If only he knew what was bugging me, he might have sent me packing. Thank God he couldn’t read the thoughts that were doing their rounds in my head!

The authorities say that these abattoirs are in a sorry state sanitation-wise. They are very dirty and pose health risks to the “nyama choma” patrons (like yours truly).

But, seriously speaking, I thought fire can kill all manner of germs, worms and other such health risks that can “append their poison” in the meat I love so much. Roasted meat goes through fire, doesn’t it?

Can someone please, puliiiiz, do something about this state of affairs. I, like so many other Nairobians, need to get back to work with all the energy I can and could muster. This is energy that I can only get from my favourite delicacy “Nyam Chom”.

You slaughter house guys, clean up your act and make sure there is enough Nyama Choma to drown the city the moment I step out of the house this weekend. Somebody reading this?

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin